Rifled-and-Sighted Palmetto M1842 Musket
When the South Carolinian government began rearming its state militias in 1849, there became an obvious need for locally produced muskets. This need was met by two enterprising men named William Glaze and Thomas W. Radcliff. The duo founded the Palmetto Armory and began work on a variety of US pattern arms, including the M1841 rifle, the M1842 Pistol, and the M1842 musket. Of the numerous state contracts received by the Armory, the largest was for 6,000 M1842 muskets; which the firm delivered between 1852 and 1853. After the final delivery of arms was made in 1853, the company stopped producing arms and became the Palmetto Iron Works started producing agricultural equipment.
It wasn't until 1861 that William Glaze & Co. would revisit the arm's manufacturing business. With the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860, the state of South Carolina determined it would secede from the Union and once again began making preparations to arm its state militias. It was during this time that the state made an effort to update its arsenals by collecting the Palmetto M1842 from it's arsenals and shipping them back to Glaze to be rifled. During the Spring and Summer of 1861, Glaze converted 3,720 Palmetto Armory smoothbores to rifle-muskets by cutting 3 groove rifling in their bores and installing a simple "tomb stone" style sight roughly six inches from the breech. These rifles were issued to several South Carolinian units, including the 1st South Carolina Volunteers, who used them at Gettysburg.
This Palmetto M1842 was built on commission by David Stavlo. David started with a rifled-and-sighted Armisport M1842 as a base. The stock was first re-shaped to the dimensions of original '42s. Special attention was paid to the moldings around the lock and the thinning out of the wrist and forend. The result is a perfect copy of the original m1842 stocks; not only in appearance but also in feel. The bulky squared Italian stock is gone; replaced by the graceful lines of America's most handsome smoothbore.
David continued by fitting one of our Palmetto Armory lock plates into the mortise. This is a slow and tedious process because it requires a lot of hand-inletting to allow the plate to sit at it's proper depth not only in relation to the stock, but to the bolster as well.
The work continued by removing the Italian markings from the barrel and stamping "1852" onto the tang. W.G. & Co. was also stamped on the left side of the breech to replicate the original "William Glaze & Co." markings found on originals. The Italian rear sight was then removed from the barrel and replaced with a custom-made copy of the original Palmetto '42 sights installed by Glaze during his conversion work of 1861.
David then replaced all three steel barrel bands with custom brass Palmetto bands; a feature unique to Palmetto '42s. The defarb work was completed by installing the correct taper pins in the swivels and filing them flush.
David finished the project by lightly patining all the metal parts. This process was specifically requested by the the customer with the intention of creating a musket that would already have been nearly ten years old at the outbreak of the war. The stock was also lightly patined to match the metal before it was sealed with several applications of hand-rubbed oil finish.